Once you have created a Sitting, tests will be available to start during the Test Start Period in one of the following ways:
- Manually Start Tests - The Start Test button on the Student Progress screen needs to be clicked by another Testwise user at any time after the beginning of the Test Start Period.
- Automatically Start Tests - The test starts automatically at the beginning of the Test Start Period, without any user intervention.
When the Test Start Period begins and the test has started on Testwise (automatically or manually), students can log into the Test Lobby and take the test.
Once you have created a Sitting, tests will be available to start during the Test Start Period. The following two fields within the Sittings Wizard define the parameters for starting a test:
- Test Start Period - Defines the period during which Students can log into the Test Lobby and start their test(s).
- Test Start Mode - Defines the method used to start a test, which can be started either manually or automatically.
The Sittings Wizard can be accessed when creating a Sitting or for changing the details.
Manually start tests
Selecting the Manual Test Start option when creating a Sitting enables you to run a test in exam-style conditions. Although not essential, you may choose to gather your students in one room at any time between the Sitting From and To dates, and then check the Student Progress screen to see whether or not they have logged into Testwise using their access code.
Even when students have logged in, they will not be able to begin the test until you click the Start Test button on your screen. This ensures that all students start at the same time, and are subject to the same environmental conditions for the test.
Manually starting a test means that once the Test Start Period has begun, a Testwise user will have to click on the Start Test button on the Student Progress screen, before students can log into the Test Lobby and take their test. When the Start Test button is clicked, the Start button on each Student's Test Lobby will become active.
You can start an assessment manually if the following criteria have been met:
- The Manual Test Start option has been selected as the Test Start Mode for the Sitting, while creating it using the Sittings Wizard. See View Details of a Sitting for steps to check if the Manual Start option has been selected for a Sitting.
- The Test Start Period has begun. You can find out the Test Start Period for your Sitting in the Sittings List, in the 'From' column.
Prior to a Testwise user clicking on the Start Test button, the Student would be able to log into the Test Lobby and view the tests that are allocated to them, but not be able to click on anything or start the test.
The other way of starting an assessment is for it to start automatically.
How to manually start a test
1. Click on the Sittings button on the home screen. All existing Sittings are displayed in the Sittings List.
2. Find the Sitting you to want manually start and ensure that the Test Start Period is about to begin soon, by checking the date and time for it in the 'From' column. You can change the Test Start Period, if required, by following the steps mentioned in the Change Details of a Sitting section.
3. If you want to check if the Sitting can be started manually, follow these steps:
- Click on the Actions button to the left of the Sitting.
- Click on the Edit button to display the Sittings Wizard.
- Click on the Next button until you reach the Test Start Mode page.
- Ensure that the Manual Test Start option has been selected. If it has not been selected, then select it and save the Sitting.
- Navigate back to the Sittings List.
4. Find the Sitting you want to manually start and click the Progress button displayed next to it. The Student Progress screen for the selected Sitting will be displayed.
5. Click the Start Test button to manually start the Sitting.
Any students (who have been added to the Sitting) who are logged into the Test Lobby will now be able to click the Start button and begin taking their test.
The Start Test button on the Student Progress screen will now disappear, as it can only be clicked once.
6. Click the Back button to return to the Sittings List. Notice that the Status for the Sitting you just manually started, would now have changed to 'Started'.
7. To return to the home screen, click on the Home button .
Automatically start tests
Automatic test start means students can log in and start a test without user intervention once the Test Start Period begins.
The beginning of the Test Start Period is displayed in the 'From' column of the Sittings List.
Tests can also be started manually.
How to check Automatic Test Start options
1. Click on the Sittings button on the home screen.
2. Find the Sitting you want to start automatically.
3. Click on the Actions button displayed next to the Sitting.
4. Click on the Edit button to display the Sittings Wizard.
Note: If a student has started the test, the Sitting cannot be edited.
5. Click on Automatic Test Start.
6. Click on Save.
7. To return to the home screen, click on the Home button.