About LASS 11-15
PLEASE NOTE: The information in these articles refers to LASS for ages 11-15 years. If you would like information on LASS for ages 8-11 years, please click here.
What is LASS 11-15?
LASS 11-15 is a fully computerised multifunctional assessment system for use with students in the age range 11 years 0 months to 15 years 11 months.
It comprises eight subtests which cover the following skills:
- single word reading
- sentence reading
- auditory memory (‘Mobile’)
- visual memory (‘Cave’)
- phonic skills (‘Nonwords’)
- phonological processing (‘Segments’)
The subtests are presented in the form of interactive and engaging games that have been designed specifically for students in this age range. Three of these subtests are adaptive. This means that the computer automatically adjusts the difficulty of the items to suit the ability level of the student completing the test. This helps to prevent students from becoming bored by items that are too easy for them or frustrated by items that are too difficult.
Why use LASS 11-15?
LASS 11-15 enables teachers to:
- obtain a reasonable estimate of the student’s intelligence
- assess the student’s attainments in reading and spelling and identify students who are under-performing in these areas
- measure discrepancies between actual literacy attainment and expected literacy attainment based on intelligence
- identify underlying problems in memory or phonological processing skills that could be the cause of under-performance in literacy
- identify students with dyslexia (specific learning difficulty)
- monitor development in reading and spelling on a regular basis
- assess improvements in memory, phonological and phonic decoding skills brought about by appropriate training or intervention
Features of LASS 11-15
- Full suite takes approximately 45 minutes
- Results scored immediately
- Fully computerised
- Suitable for 11-15 years
- Identify dyslexia and other learning difficulties
- Pinpoint specific areas of need
- 8 short subtests