Scoring and reporting
PTE digital tests
Digital tests are scored automatically by the Testwise system on completion of the test. Teachers and administrators can access reports through their school’s online account and reports can be generated on demand. For details of GL Assessment’s online scoring and reporting via Testwise, please click here.
PTE paper tests
All scoring of the paper tests is done by computer. This ensures complete accuracy, and also generates automated individual and group reports.
Please see guidance below. A printable version of this guidance is available in the Downloads section here.
Collating booklets for marking
A ‘batch’ consists of all the Pupil/Student Booklets from a single level of each test. For the despatch, you will need to collate booklets in line with this - separating Form A and Form B. In all instances you will need to complete a Batch Header Sheet (BHS), available in the Downloads section here.
The Batch Header Sheet requires information that is essential to the efficient scoring of your students’ test booklets. You must complete:
- Name, address and telephone number of your school with a contact name
- Date of testing
- Test level
- Year group or Class
- Number of booklets
Do not include booklets from different test levels under a single BHS; one form per level is required.
Once the BHS has been completed and the test booklets batched up accordingly, you are now ready to return your student booklets.
To print your packaging label please go to the following URL: https://reports.testwise.net/print.my.label
Please firmly attach your returns label to the outer side of each carton and then place the remaining section inside the parcel and seal the carton. Your parcel is now ready to return to us via a secure trackable service.
Please note GL Assessment cannot accept responsibility for loss of or damage to Pupil Booklets occurring in the post.
PLEASE NOTE: The 15-day scoring and reporting turnaround will start on the first working day following receipt of booklets along with correctly completed Batch Header Sheets and a correctly completed Data File. Delays can occur when guidelines are not followed.
Student Data File
In order to provide accurate and timely reporting, we need a correctly completed Excel Data File to accompany every batch of booklets. When completing your data file, the information given must match what you have provided on the booklets being returned.
You will need to create one data file per test series, which can include all test levels per form.
We recommend creating your data file once the testing is completed ensuring only the students who sat the test are included in the data file.
You should already have a login for this at https://reports.testwise.net. If you have any queries, please contact Customer Services on (+44) 0330 123 5375.
The reports include analysis by a range of criteria, which can only be delivered when accuracy and consistency are applied to the data file/s. Without an accurate data file, delays to the 15-day scoring and reporting service can occur.
Downloading/Uploading the Data File Template
There are two options to create your file. To access the templates, please log in to your account and follow the below steps:
- Select 'Data file download and upload for PT Series'
- Select the relevant series such as Maths, English or Science
- Choose your preferred option:
|Using the Macro template (Step 1)||Using the CSV Template (Step 1)|
Click on 'Download Macro template file'
Open the Excel file and there is a full instruction sheet in the template to guide you through the process. We recommend printing the instruction page off to assist with the data file creation.
Once you have completed all the stages on the instruction sheet you will now have a fully validated CSV file for you to upload in to your account.
Click on 'Download CSV template file'. Instructions are available to download from the on screen link.
Once you have completed your file, you will need to save it to your preferred area on your computer.
|To upload your completed file (Step 2)|
Select which form booklets you are returning - Form A or Form B
Select Yes or No to returning the booklets
Add the relevant date
Select 'Choose file' and find the data file which you have saved
|Click upload data file (Step 3)|
|Click on the green button 'Upload PT series file'|
When this has been successfully completed, you will receive an email notification summarising the levels and student numbers for each of your data file submissions.
Some criteria for analysis are fixed, these are as per below:
|Criteria||How to enter|
|Free School Meals||Please enter Yes/No|
|Ethnic Group||Please enter the group that applies. For any single group ensure that consistency and accuracy are applied. For example, White British and white British will be treated as two categories for analysis|
|Special Educational Needs||You may prefer to enter Yes/No as analysis by discrete categories may include a very small number of students and so not yield reliable comparative data|
|EAL||Again, it may be advisable to enter Yes/No instead of more discrete criteria|
There are five columns in the Data File with headers Custom 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. These can be used for any additional criteria against which you would like analysis. For example, analysis by a student’s home postcode, feeder nursery, and the number of years the student has been in the school. It is not necessary to use any or all five columns.
Accessing your reports
Scoring will take up to 15 working days from the receipt of the booklets and the data file.
Once scoring is complete, an email will be sent to tell you that your reports are ready. This includes details of how to access our online reporting system (TRS) and how to create your own password.
The following reports are included in the per-student price:
- Group report for teachers (PDF and Excel)
- Individual student report for teachers
- Individual report for parents
If you are part of a group of schools, a Cluster report is available for an additional charge. Please let us know when ordering if you require a Cluster report and which schools are to be included in the cluster.
The GL Assessment Scoring Team can be contacted at [email protected] or by calling Customer Services on 0330 123 5375.
Avoiding delays to the 15-day Scoring and Reporting Service
- Report generation can take up to 15 working days to complete – the 15 working days will commence from the next working day after Pupil/Student Booklets, correctly completed Batch Header Sheet/s and correctly completed Data File/s have been received.
- Data File accuracy is key as this information will determine the level of your data and analysis within your reports, including dates of birth, gender, etc. This will also ensure the reports created for you are of the highest possible value.
- Batch Header Sheets are to be provided per test level/form not per order.
- Pupil/Student Booklet front covers need to be completed clearly, accurately and in full, to allow us to identify each student for scoring. This includes full forename, surname and date of birth. Where possible this information should match the data file uploaded, this will then also prevent delays in processing if incorrect/missing data has to be amended. Please do not use pre-printed labels.
- Pupil/Student booklet front covers must contain the school DfE number and not any other GL associated account reference.
- Common issues causing delays to the 15-day scoring and reporting service include:
- Inaccuracies in your Data File. For example, inclusion of ‘absent’ students (those not present on the day of testing, but included in a previously uploaded version of the data file).
- Incomplete or inaccurate Batch Header Sheet submissions. For example, missing information or more than one test level included in the same BHS.
- Issues with booklets. For example, use of photocopied booklets, ripped pages, faint writing, or use of red pen.
Northern Ireland data
A separate standardisation was carried out in Northern Ireland. This means that schools in Northern Ireland can choose to generate reports based on either:
- UK standardisation which includes a representative sample of students from Northern Ireland
- NI data which is based on a separate and additional sample of approximately 1,000 students from across the country.
As a default, reports include Northern Ireland data. However, this can be changed on request in advance via the batch header sheet or by selecting UK data (digital) at the point at which digital reports are generated.
What reports are available?
Group reports for teachers
These are available in PDF and Excel format, and include:
- A description of the assessment and overview of its benefits
- A table of scores for all students in your group
- Analysis of your group scores compared to the UK national average
- Indicators of future attainment in UK national tests/examinations
Individual student reports for teachers
- A description of the assessment, overview of its benefits, example questions and a useful reminder of how scores are reported
- Detailed breakdown of scores for each student, including the Standard Age Score, National Percentile Rank, stanines and group ranking
- Profile descriptions for each student, indicating their likely preferences, strengths and any areas for development
- Indicators of future attainment in UK national tests/examinations
Individual reports for parents
- An explanation of the assessment, overview of why it is used and example questions to ensure parents are informed
- Parent-friendly overview of performance scores
- Description of scores, helping parents to understand their child’s learning profile and giving suggestions for how to offer support at home
- Description of progress
- A description of the assessment, overview of its benefits and a useful reminder of how scores are reported
- Detailed analysis of your cohort/group scores compared to the national average
- Profile chart indicating the learning preferences for all students in the cohort/group, with supporting explanation
- Summary indicators of future attainment for the full cohort/group