Is the assessment being conducted fairly?
In order for the assessment to be fair (i.e. to give a reasonably accurate representation of the student’s abilities) it is essential for the teacher to ensure that during the test:
- the student is paying attention, is on task and is not distracted
- the student does not become unduly fatigued
- there is no teaching or helping with the task during the test items (whether from the teacher or other students)
- there is no cheating – this may take the form of the student placing his or her hands on the computer screen to circumvent memory element of the test (e.g. in Rabbits)
- feedback from the teacher is minimised and encouragement consistent.